I’ve put in my thoughts on different Google penalties on websites that prevents sites ranking high in SERPs for the keyword they target for.
1. Google Sandbox:
Sandbox is an highly debated greay area which Google has not officially accepted about its existance. But sanbox makes perfect sense and hence they do exist. Every new website tend to be in Google sandbox for a particular period of time, this can be seen by a sudden dip in search traffic for a particular period of time. The period of time varies depending on the niche, your keyword competetion, your domain quality, content quality etc
Some points to note about Sandboxing:
- If you are in a competitive niche, your website is almost sure to be sandboxed, it is kind of a test Google tries to judge a real quality website and sites solely intended to making money through free traffic.
- If your domain is 100% EMD then your sandbox duration may be slightly lesser.
- If you keep adding new content and build backlinks graaaadually, then your website is sure to rise in SERP sooner.
- MFA (made for adsense) sites are prone to sandboxing easily, so do not add adsense or any sort of ads to a brand new site, wait for some time for its rank to settle in search engines. It also gives adsense a better chance to deliver more targeted ads with high CPC.
- After the honeymoon period (soon after new website is created, it receives good search rankings) sites tend to show a dip, this can be overcome by constantly adding content and selectively adding backlinks.
2. Google Slap:
This happens mostly with thin affiliate sites, where the quality of content is low, backed with heavy backlinks and SEO techniques. Here teh webmaster typically an internet marketer concentrates only on seo and not on content. These sites offer less to no value to users. Website can come up in SERPs after google slap but it will take time and effort.
Some of the actitivies that can recover your site form Google slap:
- Reducing the ads and affiliate links (removing them temporarily during thiss period)
- Adding more content and improve visitor experience
- Reducing bounce rate greatly
- Doing above methods for a consistent period of time.
3. Websites Deindexed:
This is the worst case, where your site has possibly involved in blackhat seo techniques anything from sneaky seo tricky or spammy link building profile, once the website is de inxed from Google it is pronounced dead literally. Move on to next website, it is a very rare case but if it happens, the site deserves the deindexation.